Sunday, May 2, 2010

Speaking with Animation: WALL-E

When I first learned that we were going to learn about animation this semester, I was a bit apprehensive due to my limited skills in drawing and creating cartoon images. I like working with video footage, and capturing the real world on camera. Accordingly, the idea of designing a short animation film from scratch seemed like a daunting task. As we attended lecture every Tuesday and were being given instructions on how to move objects across the screen and how to draw different versions of the same character so as to give the illusion of walking, I felt even more incompetent than I had before.

This is not to say that I do not appreciate animation. I am actually very fascinated with the art of animation! Especially with how people can create an entirely new universe out of a blank stage and how they can create characters and creatures that exist and interact within that universe. I feel that animation allows creative minds to depict anything they want without any limitations; as opposed to filmmaking – which is exclusively restricted to the physical world.



A work of animation that has recently grabbed my attention is Pixar’s Wall-E. Although the film does not quite meet the criteria of “artistic” or “informational” animation, the science fiction computer-animated film encompasses everything that I look for in animation. Not only does Andrew Stanton’s film have a powerful and thought-provoking plot, but the way he and his team created the graphics and visuals for Wall-E is truly spectacular. Even though the circumstances in Wall-E exist under the realm of computer-animation, Stanton utilized lighting and cinematography techniques, such as lens flare and racking focus, to give the film a realistic feel.

Wall-E has been created using flat color animation. The color tones and effects make locations and backgrounds of some scenes look natural and lifelike. Unlike early Walt Disney Pictures classics, Wall-E is a 3D animation with a few characters that articulate mechanistically, and a few that have human voices. Through the interactions between humans and robots, I think Stanton succeeds in depicting his idea of what the Earth may become in 2805 as a result of megacorporations, mass consumerism and over-trashing.